

THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION



UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT CONGRESS Session XCVI

General Body Meeting
7:00 pm, Tuesday, September 13th, 2016
Devon Hall 120

Session XCVI

Roll Call – 7:00

Flag Salute

Representative Grunewald

Approval of Minutes

Motion to approve the minutes Mee sec Ryana

Chair's Report- Hi everyone! My name is Kaylee and I'm the Chair. I'm a Senior Political Science and Public Administration major. Can't wait for the session! We will be going by ParliPro and Roberts Rules, so if you have questions, raise your hand and say On Information and I will recognize you. Same with motions and questions for the author. Say "Thank you Madame Chair, please direct my question to the Chair" if you are recognized for a question. Human Diversity Applications for Chair are on OrgSync, and will be open till Friday at midnight. Please talk to Exec if you have questions. Homecoming is coming up, and we're partnered with SigEp, ASA, and PiPhi; our SGA liaison e-mailed us and we will be donating \$3 to Ali McCormack for Soonerthon for our philanthropy. Pumping will also start soon for floats. Group pumps in October with pizza. FB groups will be made soon. Please ask if you have questions. Remember, use On Information to ask questions. Tryouts for dance for Homecoming are over.

Vice Chair's Report- Hi friends! My name is Austin Reid, and I'm the VC of Congress. We had a great Orientation on Sunday. Thanks to everyone who was able to go. I will be gone next week from the General Meeting due to a show that Chair Echols and I are in. I will still keep my office hours and answer e-mails and please set up meetings. I still want to help you all out. Please stop by office hours!

Secretary's Report- Hello everyone! So excited to see all the new faces... thanks for coming! Please don't forget to submit your Office Hours and Constituent Service for the month of September. For those of you needing a Constituent Service hour, I have two events that you can go to. Firstly, VP Shumate is hosting a State of the Community address in Beard Lounge at 6pm on Thursday the 15th. Secondly, the Multicultural Center for the Advancement of Students is hosting their monthly meeting from 5-6pm in Zarrow Hall next Tuesday the 20th. If you go to either of these events and submit an OrgSync form with a photo from the event, you will have met your constituent service requirement! As always, please check out the resources at bit.ly/Session96 and let me know if you have any questions.

Committee Reports-

- **Academic Affairs-** Hi friends! I'm Hunter. WE had a great time at Orientation and enjoyed meeting the new associates. Hoping to see legislation soon. AA, please meet with me after the meeting so I can get contact info.
- **Communications-** Hi everyone, I'm Shelby. Firstly, CAC just released their Homecoming Bash event, so please share on social media. CAC is a part of SGA so we want to support them. Our new webmaster Alex sent me the SGA logos so hopefully I'll get in touch with Printing Services to get Constituent Cards out. Cupcakes and Congress will be happening soon. We need the graphic from Alex to plan that. I will be creating a Doodle Poll to determine if we want regular T's or pocket T's for shirts. I am hoping to have a physical copy to show you next week. We will likely be doing a regular pullover instead of a half-zip so that we can work with the other Branches. New members, follow us on Social Media at OU_Congress
- **Congressional Administration-** Hi, I'm Ryan Nigh and I'm the VC of Congressional Administration. We saw a number of pieces of legislation, including those concerning SFC, Constituent Service, and appointments. We liked them all and hope you do as well.
- **External Affairs-** We had a brief meeting at Orientation. Getting ready to dig into voter registration and other events. We are really hoping to get people to the polls.
- **Human Diversity-** N/A
- **Problems and Projects-** I'm Taylor, wasn't able to make it to Orientation due to a collision. I'm here now and OK though! Brian Owings ran the meeting and I was able to call in. We went over projects and talked to new members. I will be giving a better run-down of projects next week. Hoping to improve CART service. Also hoping to focus on public health.
- **Sustainability-** I'm MJ, we met at Orientation, and talked about some projects that were already in the works. We asked about water filters and you can just fill out a maintenance request and Facilities Management will take care of those. If you are never going to use the agendas again, please recycle after the meeting.
- **Ways and Means-** Hey everyone, I'm Chun (the Sec). We appointed our Vice-Chair Syleste and myself as the Secretary. This week we conducted interview. We will be seeing auxiliary funding 1 today.

Liaison Reports

Special Orders

President Pae

Pae: Thank you Madame Chair. My name is Daniel Pae, and I'm from Lawton (the shady 580). Seems like Orientation was a great time, here's my condensed address that I would have given if I was there. This morning, I had coffee with a freshman that want to get involved in SGA. They always ask me "what made you run for SGA?" The answer, for me, starts with Congress. I was on Academic Affairs and was on Human Diversity as well. Jake likes to make fun of me but I always carry around business cards. As student leaders, it is our duty to overcome obstacles and help people. These obstacles might be working with faculty members or working on little sleep. What makes me passionate about SGA is that we can make real changes for the student body. We have made real changes across all branches. Yesterday, we presented to Faculty Senate about pre-finals week reform and it went well. We are posting the Legal Service job soon. We are getting bids from different bike share companies now. In addition, we are overcoming obstacles with the food pantry. The Homecoming Bash was just announced, and CAC has done a great job in being more inclusive. Some of

us will pump, some will play volleyball, some will dance. Always remember, discover your passion. Do your best, and don't ever give up.

Swearing in of New Members

Motion to Suspend Rules and Move Back to Special Orders Kelling sec Owings

Student Concerns

Old Business

Items to Be Considered

Motion to Suspend Rules and Move Back to Items to be Considered Kelling sec Elliott

960104- SFC Guidelines Update Act of 2016 (Rodolf/Ebert) (ConAd- Rec of do pass)

Zahra sec Pham

Motion to Table for a Week Elliott sec Reid

960109- Constituent Service Adjustment Act of 2016 (Mazeitis) (ConAd- Rec of no rec)

Pham sec Chun

Mazeitis: Each representative and associate is required 1 constituent service hour per month. Instead of the last Tuesday of the month, the hour will now be due the last day of the month. You may attend a Congressional Event, Community Event, approved by me, or other Constituent service which can be put on Orgsync. You were required to submit 5 RSOs in the past but that will no longer be the case.

Davis- What event will generally get approved?

Mazeitis- I'll be fairly lenient, so basically, any event where you are able to speak with or interact with constituents in a meaningful way will be counted?

Elliot- Will you except a friendly amendment striking out section C, which indicates the specific months?

Mazeitis- No I want to keep it so that we can distinguish which months service is required for.

Owings- Is there is a difference between one office hour and one constituent service hour?

Mazeitis- Yes

Walker- Do representatives need to be there weekly biweekly or monthly?

Mazeitis- Monthly

Buxton- Would you accept a friendly amendment changing the name to the Conoco Student Leadership Center and from biweekly to monthly?

Mazeitis- Yes

Williams- Does this affect the liaison program?

Mazeitis- No

Steward- Under 3 section C, Would OU votes count for constituent service?

Mazeitis- Yes, as I find that to be a meaningful interaction with constituents.

Mee- Are we OK to just e-mail you?

Mazeitis- No, I'd prefer you submit the form on OrgSync to keep it centralized

Nigh- Can I draw a picture instead of take one?

Mazeitis- No, you'll need to take a picture in order to standardize it.

Owings- Do regular meetings need a picture?

Mazeitis- Yes

Rains- When time runs out I need a motion to extend time.

Motion to Extend Questioning Time to the End of the List Mee sec Nigh

Davis- Do you think we should require representative and associates to get a signature from a leader within the organization we talk to in order to add an extra layer of accountability?

Mazeitis- I trust Representatives and Associates to fulfill their duties, but if I find out that people aren't respecting the system, I may require that.

Consent

960507- Auxiliary Allocation Act #1 (Echols) (WAM- Rec of do pass)

Capehart sec Ryana

Chun: This is Auxiliary Allocation #1.

Nigh: There seems to be a lot of money going to P/E/A. Can you describe the activities being funded?

Chun: Women in Business does seminars and speaker events, along with monthly meetings.

Davis: This is the second year that they're starting. They're the first women's group in the Price College of Biz, and we gave them a lot of funding to help them further their mission.

Chun: For Institute of Ops Research, there money is going to flight/hotel for a speaker. CSA is for new members, CLC is for their Mid-Autumn celebration. Budget Committee is for food for our long meetings.

Kelling: Did these folks get money, or have we been waiting to give them funding yet?

Chun: They got primary, but they need auxiliary to help them get through.

Rains: This is kind of like emergency funding.

Davis: Their fiscal history was analyzed during the funding process.

Williams: How much money do we have in the aux fund?

Chun: About \$53,000

Owings: For Women in Buisness, isn't \$300 is a big number for office expenses?

Chun: That's for printing and promotional supplies, which goes to posters.

Davis: They're also trying to get a big banner for tabling, which is a big part of the cost.

Mee: Is it standard for interviewing new members to do \$300?

Chun: That's just how they run.

Davis: It's for the food for the interviews, in addition to the venue cost. P/E/A includes all costs related to an event.

Kelling: Shouldn't the banner be under Capital Investment?

Rains: That would normally be under Capital Investment, but it's up to the WAM committee. If they decide, they can do a line item transfer.

Motion to a roll call vote Elliott sec James

This bill passes by a roll call vote of 38-0-2.

960605- An Act Appointing Congress Members to Session 96 (Lewis) (ConAd- Rec of do pass)

Elliott sec Ryana

Nigh: Hello again! I am neither Danielle Lewis nor the Chair, but I am still presenting. After interviews and applications, we believed this people to be the best associates and representatives. We had about 52 applications and interviewed everyone. I will need a friendly amendment to update the legislation to reflect recent changes.

Mazeitis: Would you approve this friendly amendment to strike Associates Margiaracina and Carter and Representative Clark, and add Associate Williams as a Representative under the Social Science District?

Nigh: Yes

Consent

960606- An Act Amending Committee Membership for Session 96 (Rains) (Exec- Rec of do pass)

Owings sec Chun

Rains: Before you all got here, we established committees. This legislation appoints people to their committees.

Mazeitis: Would you accept a friendly amendment striking Associates Margiaracina and Clark and Representative Clark?

Rains: Yes

Lalani: Does it matter that one of the letters is capitalized and it shouldn't be?

Rains: We can call that a scrivener's error.

Consent

960704- SGA General Counsel Appointment Act of 2016 (Pae) (Exec- Rec of do pass)

Elliott sec Bray

Pae: This is the last time I'll be up here. This legislation appoints the General Counsel, which is like the Attorney General of the SGA. They keep the Code Annotated up to date and work on other legal/ code related things. Always necessary in case of disputes. Cassandra is moving from Associate to full General Counsel.

Nguyen: I'm a 3L student. For General Counsel, we advise students who get in trouble with Academic Integrity, have student conduct problems, or want a grade appeal. I have office hours that you all are welcome to come to.

Kelling: Was this already seen at GSS?

Pae: It'll be seen at the next GSS meeting.

Kelling: Date as scriveners?

Rain: Yes

Reid: How can students get ahold of you for legal advice?

Nguyen: To clarify, we don't offer advice, just guidance. They can reach us at our e-mail sgagc@ou.edu

Mee: Can you explain your role as General Counsel?

Nguyen: As the General Counsel, I meet with students to advise and update the Student Code Annotated. I make sure all discrepancies between the SGACA and Constitution are addressed.

Consent

960706- 2016-2017 CORE Executive Team Confirmation Act (Pae) (Exec- Rec of do pass)

Kelling sec Bray

Pae: Long time no see! This piece of legislation confirms the Exec team of CORE Consulting, created by John Pham. This organization works to help RSO's make impactful change and hit the ground running. It also helps them understand funding and programming.

Rowell: I'm the VP, our President is sorry to not be here, I was also in Congress a while ago, so I understand where you all are coming from. We take a lot of grassroots organizations to help them publicize and achieve their missions. We are very passionate about the work that we do.

McGee: I'm the Director of Communication. This is our 2nd year, it's been an awesome experience to see the impacts that we are able to make on student organizations. I was able to help an organization register and create an effective plan for the year.

Rowell: We select groups based both on need-based and first-come-first-serve considerations.

Kelling: What's the best way for an RSO to reach out to CORE for assistance?

McGee: We have a FB page and have our applications there.

Rowell: We are working on OrgSync right now, and primarily use FB and word of mouth. We do have an app that is accessible on FB.

Elliott: Can you tell us about yourselves?

McGee: Sophomore from Choctaw about 30 mins E of OKC. Recently got a Wal-Mart. I decided to join CORE because I wanted to develop leadership skills while using those same skills to help make RSO's heard. I wanted to be the Director of Communication because groups need to communicate internally and externally, especially when things get hard. That way, you are able to effectively change things.

Rowell: Senior with majors in Biochemistry and Microbiology. Seemed like a great opportunity; aren't a lot of groups that help other groups. I ran for VP because I saw a lot of room to grow. We helped 5 organizations this last year, and if we invest time/passion, we can help even more people.

Consent

New Business

Follow-Up Reports

Items for Future Agenda

960707- An Act Appointing the '16-'17 Election Board (Exec)

960201-A Resolution Thanking Steve Findiess (AA)

Announcements and Comments

George: Every year, I pass around the giant binder of committees and councils is that you can sign up for. Meeting times haven't been set yet, except for Budget Council. They try to work around your schedule. I will leave this binder up front. Sign your name next to the committee, and thumb through the binder if you're interested. Also feel free to stop by my office if you want to sign up. Committees include Fit and Rec, Faculty Awards, etc. Come see me if you don't sign up today but still want to.

Kelling: Do we need to be appointed again?

George: Who were you appointed by?

Kelling: You

George: yes, you need to re-sign up. Wanted to give Legislative people the chance to sign up. Also, Conoco Wing is super informal, but it's actually the Conoco Student Leadership Center.

Elliott: Follow us on Social Media OU_Congress

Kelling: I'm the liaison for the Student Veterans Association. Please mark your calendars for the SGA Appreciation Tailgate at the October 15th due to the work that SGA did to get the veterans lounge and center up and running. Even if you're new, please come! It's on Lindsay directly in front of the video board. There will be a banner.

Reid: Committee Chairs, now that we have our committees, please get minutes and agendas in (on the Google Drive). Ryan Echols and I are in a show. It opens on the 23rd which is why I won't be here next week. Tickets are on sale online. This is a shameless plug, come see it, its rated R. It's called Let the Right One In. It runs from the weekend of the 23rd to October 1st.

Davis: When are submissions for agenda due?

Rains: Agendas are due 24 business hours before the meeting is scheduled. It needs to be posted in the CPLC by 5pm if you meet the next day.

Rains: Go chat with your committee chairs if you haven't met them

Ryana: Recently started a non-profit here at OU. We fundraise for free clinics to make health care accessible. Please like us on fb so that we can fund raise. Its Student Healthcare Outreach

Reid: Voting is very important when it comes to Congress. We say that if you don't have enough information that its ok to abstain. You represent 750 people, so abstentions basically keep 750 from having a voice on the bill. Do it if you feel it's right, but just keep that in mind.

Davis: I'm part of the National Society of Black Engineers and we are going to the Alzheimer's Walk on the 24th. We will be carpooling from the north side of the LNC at 8:15 to go participate. Please join!

Chun: Korean Student Association is having a BBQ next Friday night you're all invited. Reserve on Stinson, 6pm.

Rains: Tonight was a big night, there was a lot of information, so please come talk to me if you need anything or ask questions! You all did amazing and you're going to do great. If you came late and weren't sworn in, please stop by my office hours so that we can do that. Also, if you like Congress, Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature meets this Thursday at 8pm in Gaylord 2020 where we re-create the legislature in the Capitol.

Final Roll Call

8:10

Chair: Kaylee Rains

Vice-Chair: Austin Reid

Secretary: Jake Mazeitis

Session 96	960507
Abney, Jordan	y
Alrawi, Salam	
Benjamin, Morgan	
Bray, Bryan	a
Buxton, Jillian	y
Capehart, Tanner	y
Chun, Bum Ki	y
Cox, Reece	
Curley, Nicholas	y
D'Silva, Jordan	y
Davis, Syleste	y
Echols, Ryan	
Elliott, Shelby	y
Elwick, Kara	y
Erwin, Hunter	y
Gomez, Hector	a
Grunewald, John	y
Huffling, Madison	y
James, Madison	y
Kelling, Taylor	y
Kirkham, Lucas	
Klima, Ali	y
Kovach, Chase	y
Kuketz, Timothy	y
Lalani, Sanah	y
Lay, Alex	
Lewis, Danielle	y
Martin, Lindsay	y
Mazeitis, Jake	y
McClintic, Alexander	y
Mee, Emily	y
Nigh, Ryan	y
Noble, Sam	y
Owings, Brian	y
Pham, Daniel	y
Quick, Sam	y
Reid, Austin	y
Rubio Regalado, Carlos	y

Rucka, Magdalena	y
Ryana, Naomee	y
Simmons, Jonathan	y
Steward, Sarah	y
Tevis Hillis, Julia	y
Thompson, Maddy	
Vann, Peyton	y
Williams, Dan	y
Zahra, Andi	y
Yes	38
No	0
Abstain	2